The top five Telugu films are:
1. ´Happy Days´ - When it comes to making successful offbeat films, Sekhar Kammula is the best. His different sensibilities as a director enable him to make simple, heart-warming stories with strong characterisation.
All have appreciated his recent film ´Happy Days´, which is about eight engineering students tracing their lives during their course. The film is doing brisk business not only in the state but also in the US where it was screened much before its India release. The movie has raked in a lot of money and proves that audiences appreciate different stories.
2. ´Athidhi´ - It is a typical formulaic film filled with violence, gore, song and dance and does not offer anything new except Mahesh and a couple of well-picturised songs. Bollywood actress Amrita Rao makes her debut in Telugu cinema with ´Athidhi´, but it is Mahesh´s show all the way. While it is a treat for his fans, the regular audience may be bored of the staple fare.
3. ´Thulasi´ - ´Athidhi´ has pushed ´Thulasi´ one notch down. Actor Venkatesh returns to action with the film, which has a lot of commercial elements. Nayantara is paired with Venkatesh whose earlier film ´Aadavari Matalaku Ardhalu Verule´ was a big hit.
4. ´Chirutha´ - The film is running in quite a few theatres even a month after its release. The story lacks novelty, but Ramcharan Tej seems to have made a mark with the movie. The initial curiosity to see Ramcharan, megastar Chiranjeevi´s son, has no doubt propelled the audience to see him. It is doing average business.
5. ´Yamadonga´ - It was released quite some time ago but is going strong even now. It seems to have clicked despite not-so-favourable reviews. Keeravani´s songs are still popular with one figuring in the chartbuster list almost every week since the release of the film.